Tid Bits

This week is shaping up to be a big, busy one.

Yesterday Chris started the day by sending one of our employees home because he wasn’t taking his job seriously. That was followed up by another employee conversation along the same lines that we had been putting off for a while. Follow that up with a visit to the tax man, resulting in another argument about things (this is the Haitian way) and a visit to our lawyer who actually answered his phone and showed up on time for his meeting with Chris (not the Haitian way). Happy Monday!

Today has been a bit calmer. Chris had to go visit the tax man again this morning and apparently the issue still isn’t resolved. While he was gone the dog got electrocuted. She was going to get a drink from her bucket which sits next to the water cooler for our employees. The bottle had just been changed, there was water on the floor, she stood in it and took a big drink. Oh yeah, our house isn’t grounded very well. As she started getting shocked she knocked her water bucket over. I can honestly say I understand (see previous post). So, with 2 out of 3 members of our household electrocuted in less than a week Chris started working on grounding a few more things around here. Welcome to Haiti, the building inspectors nightmare.

We have a training class at the end of the month, but because Chris and I are away for a week right before we’re trying to get as many of the details taken care of as possible. It looks like it may be a full class which is great because it means more projects will be started throughout the country. We have a lot of work to do over the next two weeks, but being prepared is better than not.

I’m going to go clean the staff bathroom now…

Advertisements
This entry was posted in this is haiti, this is life by Leslie. Bookmark the permalink.

About Leslie

I'm Leslie. Wife. Mother. Missionary. In the day to day my husband and I are responsible for running Clean Water for Haiti, a humanitarian mission that builds and distributes water filters to Haitian families. Living in Haiti full time provides lots of stories, and as I tell my husband, our grandkids probably won't believe most of them. Maybe writing them down will give me some credibility.

4 thoughts on “Tid Bits

  1. I have been trying to get on your blog since last Thursday when you were here …. it keeps locking up, Britt had the same problem on her computer … but finally today I brought it up, then walked away for ten minutes and when I came back it would allow me to scroll down, which it was not doing before. Glad to catch up with you and see whats happening to the North. Sorry I missed your visit the other day … I bet it even seemed rude to you guys — I am sorry if it did, I am guarding my free 90 minutes a day with my life and running makes me a nicer mom so you just do what you gotta do. Are you getting anxious for Chicago????

  2. I’ve had problems looking at yours too on occasion and have just gotten in the habit of checking explorer and firefox. Lately Exploreer haas been the key. No worries about the visit. I understand and am happy that you have boundaries. It’s so refreshing ;)Ha ha. Getting excited, but we have a lot to do before we leave. Hugs to your brood.

  3. Last year I was shocked while cleaning one of the wall light fixtures next to the staff computer desk. Yikes, damp feet and damp cleaning cloth, wowee!

    I take it you were indicating Jabez was shocked and not electrocuted? Right? Hoping, hoping Jabez is okay?

    Barb

  4. I had not read your blog for a week or so and missed your shocking :) freezer story. I had the same sort of shock with the light fixture. I was embarassed to say that I really felt the electricity go all the way through the left side of me down through my foot. Later in the day when I told Chris he said I had indeed been shocked and that electricity finds a path to follow. It really hurt! Sorry about your dish but I am glad it was not metal. I hope you can fix that, the computer at the staff desk can do that too!

    Barb

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s