Weekend Dish

The weekend flew by. Saturday we hung around home in the morning and did some yard work. I gardened and Chris and David re-routed a tap that was in the yard to sit next to the house and close to the ground. We had it available for our staff’s families to come and get water. Recently though we’ve had a whole bunch of people here that don’t normally come, and some of them have started getting rude. The other day one of them swore at Chris, and the next morning the tap got moved. The frustrating thing is that the swearing boy actually came from one of our staff families – he wasn’t a random stranger that just decided to use the tap because it was there. So, he ruined it for everyone. Please don’t think we just take stuff away at the first sign of some sort of rudeness here or abuse. We like to receive a certain amount of rudeness and abuse before we act. Being the bad guy really isn’t that fun considering that it usually happens when people are on our property using something that we’ve made available to them. I don’t understand it and I probably never will.

Saturday afternoon we went out on the boat with Denis and went down the coast to visit other friends for the rest of the day. We enjoyed an evening sail back home where we were able to actually go off of sails alone at about 6 mi/hour. It was really a nice night. David was pretty excited about getting to go out on a Haitian boat because he sails on a team back in Chicago.

David hanging out on the boat.

Sunday we went to church and had lunch with Gladys, Pastor Henri, Jen and Sarah. It was nice to visit with them for a little while. We got gas and very quickly realized that our truck didn’t like it. After a lot of chugging and about 30 minutes to drive 1 mile, several stops to try and buy fuel conditioner with no luck, we got to Montrouis to visit some other missionary friends. Chris found some fuel conditioner behind the seat in the truck, and within minutes of hitting the road home we were a lot less chuggy. In hindsight we must have looked pretty funny lurching down the road slower than walking speed. That’s us, just out for a Sunday drive.

When we got home Yonese was here doing laundry with her granddaughter, Stephi, who is the cutest little girl. She has some sort of skin infection so I cleaned out some of her sores and put some antibiotic cream on it. If it doesn’t start to clear up in a day or so we’re going to recommend she head to the doctor. I’ve become the staff medic, which usually involves washing, slapping on some ointment, and then a Bandaid. Yep, my skills are amazing.

Today the guys worked on the roof and David had another quarter of it done by 11am, with only a bit left to go tomorrow morning, so they knocked off early. David and I went into St. Marc with Barb for the afternoon so we could go to the market. I haven’t been in to just walk around in about 4 years, and last time it was actual market day which means chaos. Today was just hot. It’s always interesting to see what’s for sale. Between chicken feet, pig feet, any number of vegetables, some cute shoes and a man trying to give his son to me not once but twice, it proved to be an interesting visit. We also stopped in to visit with Madame Solange, a friend of ours who owns a wholesale store where people come to buy things to re-sell on the street or in the market. For some reason everyone thinks they’re going to get rich by being in commerce as they say. Madame Solange never lets us leave the store without some sort of ti cadeaux, or little gift. It’s usually some sort of candy. Today it was something that David wanted to get to take home as a souvenir. After the market we went to another store, bought cold drinks and sat in the park, which wouldn’t be too bad with some water and garbage cans. I saw a goat lick a sleeping man’s feet. That was kind of funny.

David and I left Barb in the park so she could visit some friends, and we headed out on the beach road, which used to be the old railway in the country. It’s a fun, very bumpy drive. We stopped at the lighthouse and did some snorkeling but came in when we both woosed out because of blobs of attacking sea weed. Okay, it wasn’t really attacking. It just felt like it. And the waves were getting big. Okay, we’re just wooses.

So, that’s the excitement from around here. Thrilling isn’t it???

This entry was posted in this is haiti, this is life by Leslie. Bookmark the permalink.

About Leslie

I'm Leslie. Wife. Mother. Missionary. In the day to day my husband and I are responsible for running Clean Water for Haiti, a humanitarian mission that builds and distributes water filters to Haitian families. Living in Haiti full time provides lots of stories, and as I tell my husband, our grandkids probably won't believe most of them. Maybe writing them down will give me some credibility.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s