I finished painting the baby’s room yesterday. I didn’t ever think I would be repainting a bedroom here for our children to sleep in, but I did. The reality is that the whole inside of the mission house needs to be repainted and hopefully will be sometime in 2008. The walls are stippled and have this paint that’s made here on them called Tropitex. It’s basically white wash. The bumps on the walls catch dust and stuff, but if you wash them the paint comes off. We decided while we were in town this week that it would be easier to get the baby’s room painted now before there is a baby in there rather than having to move everything out and do it later when we do the rest of the house. I think we were smart. These walls take a lot of time to paint because you can get about half of it with the roller, and then need to follow up with a brush to get in all the little holes. I think we’ll be using high pile rollers when we do the rest of the house.
Anyway…the room is done. I also painted a small desk/table that we have that wasn’t being used for anything. It’s going to be the change table. It’s just the right size.
Mom and Dad brought us a change pad – one of the nice cushy ones so baby doesn’t fall on the floor. It’ll go on the table. They also got us one of those super soft change pad covers, but it was kind of weird. I think it was meant to go on a flat mat that is in an actual change table, not the table top kind like we have. It fit the inside of the change pad, but didn’t cover all of the sides. It was just weird. Sooo, enter Leslie and her sewing machine!
I measured the inside of the change pad to find out how much space needed to be covered by the oh-so-soft stuff, then measured around the sides and how deep the thing was – then added a couple inches so it could wrap underneath. I cut the ends off the existing pad cover and trimmed down the sides. I have some really fun fabric here that I felt needed to go in that room, just wasn’t sure where. I used that for the sides and cut it appropriately, sewed it together, then attached it to the top. Once it was all attached I added a small elastic to the bottom hem that pulls the whole thing under the change pad and keeps it in place. Then I made two large button holes, one on each long side, to pass the straps through. The result is this and I LOVE it!
I think it’s so soft and sweet and a little bit hip too. Also a complete original. Have I mentioned that I’m not a big puppies and kittens kind of baby person when it comes to things like this. I figure that the baby doesn’t actually care or know the difference, it’s us parents that have to look at everything so we might as well like what we see.
Today I need to do some rearranging and do a good clean on the house. It’s been neglected this week. In the process I’m going to be moving the rest of the furniture into the baby’s room and then have plans to go through everything and put things in their place so it’s done and ready and all we need to do is come home after Christmas and start changing diapers when there is someone to diaper. I need to make curtains this weekend too and think I might add some of the same material at the bottom to make it all pretty and matchy, just because I can. It’s so fun having a fabric stash, and knowing that my super alteration cost probably less than $1 to do!