How She Came to Be

Oh man, here I was all proud of myself thinking I didn’t have baby brain! I can’t believe I didn’t tell you how this all came down. I think because we were emailing so many people and talking to family I just assumed I had done it. Sigh. Bring on the baby brain.

Okay, all the details…

On Wednesday morning I was hanging out at home doing home stuff. Chris went to St. Marc to go to the bank. He was gone for a few hours. I heard him come in when he got home, but he was outside for a bit and I just assumed he was off talking to our workers. When he finally came in the house the first thing he said to me was, “Are you going to be feeling good enough to go to Port au Prince tomorrow?” My response was a bit snide as I said, “How am I supposed to know??! Why?” The whole time I was wondering what was so pressing in Port that I had to go. Was it another load of blocks and Jean was busy? Paperwork for something? Then he said, “Are you going to be feeling good enough to go to Port au Prince to meet our baby?”

I looked at him and all I could say was, “Are you serious?” The last time he saw me look that way and ask that way was the night he proposed.

By that time Chris was standing behind me and he said yes, he was serious. He’d just gotten off the phone with John and we were going in the next morning to meet our girl. He started hugging me from behind and I just started bawling. Literally sobbing. I had a smile on my face and the tears would not stop. It was such an overwhelming mix of relief and joy and disbelief.

We didn’t sleep much that night. I was still hacking and coughing. Chris was just excited. We left the house just after 5 am so we could meet John at 7. When we got there we had a few minutes to talk to John, then we headed over to the creche. Jess met us and did a quick hand off so she could get the contact lens in her eye all straightened out. Chris and I got to spend about 30 minutes with Liv, then John came back and took us up to meet the lawyer. We learned about the new adoption laws and made some decisions, then headed back down. We were free to go back and visit if we wanted, so Chris dropped me off and let me hang out there while he finished the errands for the day. We made plans to come back in the next morning, Friday, to pick her up. We just had to wait for her medical results to come back before we could taker her home and they were scheduled to be received that afternoon.

That night we got the call from John that we were expecting to just confirm her medical results. There were some things that came up with her medical tests and because of that we were delayed in bringing her home. I’ll share more about that when I get more information. Right now we’re just waiting.

So that’s how Liv came home. When we finally did get the go ahead to pick her up we did another early morning trip to Port and were back by 9 am.

Her story is that her bio-mom is from the Cayes area. She already has 5 children and then came Liv. The birth father said that she came to early so there was no way she was his child and he kicked the mother and all the kids out. She had no where to go. She came to another missionary and wanted to have them take Liv and the next youngest child. John was then contacted about Liv and he said they’d take her and then he called us.

Questions about her birth weight etc…

I don’t know her exact birth weight. She was born at home and brought to John at 10 days old. When they weighed her at the orphanage she was 5.4. We’re going to see Dr. Jen today so I’ll get her weighed to get an updated weight. She’s 17 3/4″ long :) Those extra 3/4″ are very important.

The breast feeding thing is working. Because she was on a bottle for about 5 days before she came to us so she got used to the bottle. I also don’t have a full milk supply so we’ve been doing a combo of breast feeding and bottle feeding. It’s working out well. The kid has a great appetite!

Is that all you wanted to know? Like I said, baby brain settling in here so you’ll have to just be really frank with what you want to know.


This entry was posted in adoption, this is life by Leslie. Bookmark the permalink.

About Leslie

I'm Leslie. Wife. Mother. Missionary. In the day to day my husband and I are responsible for running Clean Water for Haiti, a humanitarian mission that builds and distributes water filters to Haitian families. Living in Haiti full time provides lots of stories, and as I tell my husband, our grandkids probably won't believe most of them. Maybe writing them down will give me some credibility.

12 thoughts on “How She Came to Be

  1. Thanks for the details, I loved hearing the breast feeding is working. Wow, what a great start to a wonderful life story!now let teh brain cells be sucked outange

  2. Well… there a go! The first thing that goes when you have a baby is your mind!I was wondering how the breastfeeding was going. Did you get some nursing bras? (can I ask that on a blog?) lol :-0You need to get some more pictures put out there. How about a myspace? V

  3. Leslie,She is just so beautiful :)Congratulations again :)Please keep the pictures coming, she will change so much so soon!!!

  4. Oh, Leslie! I haven’t been by here in a few days. I am SO happy for you! Congratulations! She is beautiful. Yes, I’m gushing, it’s what I always do around babies.

  5. i’m so sad for this mother and so glad that you were there to take little Liv. and i’m really glad that the nursing is working out for you. memories of nursing my kids are some of my fondest, most tender memories. hope her health is good and that the medical issues are not serious. blessings…

  6. WOW, WOW, I just am so excited for you three. She is so adorable, she doesn’t even look like a newborn to me. Very, alert and active looking, is that the case? I am very interested in the breastfeeding, but, maybe you don’t want to talk abou it here. I am curious as to how it works. Can’t wait for more updates. :)

  7. Ok – don’t forget the part about us jumping up and down, clapping that we had a baby for you guys and she was so cute. We couldn’t wait for you guys to see her! Oh, did I mention that she is my screen saver on our lap-top! Sheila

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s