The last 24 hours have been hard. I won’t mince words there.
Yesterday around noon Chris went out to go and do some repair work on the generator because we had EDH. The exhaust needed patching, which meant welding. About 15 minutes after he got out there we heard him yelling for help. I ran down the stairs from our room to the back door and saw the mission shop on fire and him running from it. Not a little fire, a lot of fire. As he was welding a spark landed on a piece of wood laying against the wall and caught faster than you would believe. Because he was wearing the welding helmet he didn’t realize it had happened until he lifted his head up. Within minutes the entire room was englufed in flames. Chris managed to throw most of the diesel drums out of the room. We hadn’t gotten them filled this month and had been running off solar for the last week and a half so they were all mostly empty. Thank God.
I was so thankful that my family was here yesterday because I have no idea what would have happened otherwise. Dad and Darren ran and helped Chris get stuff out of the way and started throwing water on the fire. Mom stayed at the house and made sure Liv was okay. I ran around non-sensically, then started making phone calls to our workers to get more people here to help. A bunch of the neighbors came running and started helping out. It took about half an hour to get the fire out.
The damage? The generator is toast. The roof needs to be replaced. Most of our wiring needs to be replaced. A bunch of our workers showed up in the middle of getting the fire out and stuck around to help get some power running through the solar panels and help clean up. Turns out our inverter wasn’t working. We could charge our batteries, but couldn’t use the power. Our neighbors are all out for the week becuase of New Years so they let us plug into their power for the night.
I feel blessed that things didn’t turn out worse. My husband is alive. The damage that was done can be fixed. The equipment that was lost can be replaced. The funds are already there to do that. I’m thankful my family was here because if they hadn’t been I have NO IDEA what would have happened.
That is not the end though.
Last night people all along the beach were setting off fire works. Big fire works. The kind you need a permit for if you live in North America. Our dog HATES anything that bangs. None of us have seen Jabez since last night. We think that in the midst of all the banging and popping she ran away to hide, and hasn’t come home. Darren and I went for a walk to see if we could find her, but no one has seen her. Chris and I are thinking the worst becuase we know that many people in our area were afraid of her simply because she’s not a Haitian dog. We also know that dogs are not treated well here. We’re pretty much resigning ourselves to the fact that she may not be coming home. Anyone that’s met Jabez will understand how heartbreaking this is for us. We LOVE that dog so much.
The last two weeks have been nothing that we anticipated. I’m just hoping that none of it is an indication of what the next year will be like, because really.
On top of all that my computer is in the shop and needs a recovery CD from the US to maybe get fixed. And ALL of my stuff is on there. ALL of the mission stuff is on there. If you’ve been emailing me, I can check email, I just haven’t been quick to write people back.