Home again, home again.

I got back yesterday, problem free. It was weird leaving in the morning knowing I would be back in Haiti by mid-afternoon. Usually when we fly into Haiti we leave Seattle the night before and fly through the night and arrive mid morning.

Chris came in to get me as some of our workers had to go into court to talk to the judge. Pray about that and for them please. There are people in the community that are harassing certain people on our staff and even threatening them for wanting to testify. Life here is so hard and some of our workers are rightly afraid. Pray that God just covers them with his protection and peace.
How does it feel to be back? Hmmm. Well, I know that I wasn’t gone long enough to actually miss Haiti. I think I would have needed several more weeks for that, especially after the events of the last 6 months. I really missed my little family. I had a lot of fun with my brother, so much so that I’m actually pretty exhausted right now. But, the whole time that I was at Disney I just kept wishing they were there with me. Chris doesn’t like crowds, so Disney isn’t his idea of a good time, but I wish that we had the freedom to choose to do something like that as a family. That was the hard part, that we can’t even leave the country right now together. I saw all sorts of families having fun and I just wished that we could take a vacation together. I know that when we can it’s going to be so nice and will feel like one more step forward for us.
Like I said, I’m wiped right out. I was tired when I arrived, then didn’t get much sleep the first night. Sunday was a shopping day and Monday was our first day at the Magic Kingdom. And, can I just say that Disney is a machine. Seriously. You turn off the interstate to head into Disney World Resort and soon realize you’re on the Disney super highway. There are huge road signs and three lanes in each direction. After you get to the parking lot there are a crew of staff that are parking cars in nano seconds. I have never seen such an efficient parking system in my life. You don’t have to think, you just follow the hands pointing, park, get out and head for the waiting tram. Every spot is a good spot because of this. From the tram you go to ticketing, and from there you can choose to go by mono-rail or by river boat to the gates of the park. We did both, just for variety, and both were time efficient and scenic. When you walk up to the gates there is very little wait, no more than a minute or so as people go pouring through the entry system. And then, then you are in the park and ready for a day of exhausting fun. And you know what really surprised me? I think that as people go into the park something switches in their brains. I say that because no matter how tired people were, no matter how much their kids might be crying from exhaustion, no matter how crowded it was, during the two days that we were there, I think I only heard one person being ignorant and put out loud enough for people to hear. It was like everyone switched on their “happy” and just went with the flow for the day. It was crazy refreshing.
And now I’m back. I think in the process of being just flat out tired and not getting a whole lot of rest my body got run down and I got a cold. This is normal for me a and a good sign that I need o take a few naps and go to bed early. Speaking of bed. I knew our bed in Haiti was not exactly top of the line, but we bought the best mattress they had at the store when we got it. I have back problems, which I’ve always blamed on the roads etc. Well, let me tell you. The bed at the hotel was unlike anything I have ever slept in before. I haven’t been that comfy, or slept that well in years. Years! I didn’t hurt at all the entire time we were there. It was such a difference that I made sure I got us a good mattress pad and one of those foam egg shell things. I was already planning on replacing our mattress pad because it needed it, and man, I am so happy for the upgrade. Last night Chris apparently didn’t sleep that well, and me, well, I had no idea. When th alarm went off this morning I felt like I had been woken from the dead. It was that good. All morning I’ve been putting things away and tidying up and I just keep looking at my bed and wondering if I can justify taking a nap at 11 am, just because I have the sniffles.

This entry was posted in uncategorized by Leslie. Bookmark the permalink.

About Leslie

I'm Leslie. Wife. Mother. Missionary. In the day to day my husband and I are responsible for running Clean Water for Haiti, a humanitarian mission that builds and distributes water filters to Haitian families. Living in Haiti full time provides lots of stories, and as I tell my husband, our grandkids probably won't believe most of them. Maybe writing them down will give me some credibility.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s