We are not going home. Our adoption is not done.
We got a call from the Embassy today to tell us that because IBESR (Haitian social services) hadn’t signed the dossier out and we are adopting while living outside of Canada we won’t be going anywhere. We need to finish our adoption up here before the Embassy can issue anything. I was actually told that we need to get that signature from IBESR, which is not open and shows no sign of opening soon, then go through the court to get an adoption decree, and then go through MOI (Haitian Immigration) to get Olivia’s Haitian passport, then go through the Embassy to get her visa etc.
Um, for the record, this process is no different than the one we were doing to start with. Except that there are no government buildings to do it through.
Why did this happen. BIG mis-communication problems. I was very clear in my emails about the fact that we were still in IBESR, that our file was sitting on the desk waiting to be signed. We had no one actually contact us from CIC directly to clarify anything, ask any questions, let us know what the process was… nothing. Then we got a call from the Embassy telling us that we were set to fly Wednesday. Wow. About. That.
So now here we are no further ahead than we were on January 11th. We have no idea if we can even get this thing finished. We are trying to see if there is some way we can get the Prime Minister to sign off, but we’ll see. It feels impossible.
Please pray. This might be one of those mountains that can only be moved that way.