Fast post

Yesterday was another Port day. Our adoption guy had problems trying to get our dossier out last week because they have a new rule that the child in question needs to be present to verify that the child in the dossier is the one being adopted. This has started post-earthquake.

SO, back to town we went and for the record there was no puking in the car for the first time, well, since we started driving back to Port with Olivia. Maybe the car sickness is a passing thing as she gets used to driving longer distances again? Here’s to hoping.

When we got to IBESR we decided it was best I go in with our friend that has been helping us.

I walked in, went to the info desk, told them I was there to pick up an adoption dossier, showed them I had my receipt in hand and they sent me down to the office with all the records. Checked in at the desk there, a guy took the receipt, offered me a chair, and we waited about 5 minutes while he located the dossier. He brought it out, checked out Olivia to see that she was the right kid, then asked who was going to sign for it. I went in the office with him, he separated the copies of the official IBESR document, opened the ledger, found our entry, dated it and had me sign. And then we were walking out.

I was shaking as I signed. I think I just kept waiting for something to happen, for some issue to arise that would mean we couldn’t leave with it. I tried to walk out calmly, and I think I faked it pretty good considering what I really wanted to do was scoop Olivia up and RUN just so that no one could stop us and tell us it wasn’t real.

We walked out and crossed the street toward the car. I thought at some point, after getting our dossier in hand that I might break out in an ugly cry. I didn’t. As I walked toward the car and Chris and I made eye contact through the window I just nodded yes and we locked eyes and smiled. As he got out and grabbed Olivia to plug her back in her car seat I almost started crying, but I didn’t. I did spend a lot of time looking at the dossier while we drove around doing errands.

Tomorrow another meeting to see where we go from here.

This entry was posted in uncategorized by Leslie. Bookmark the permalink.

About Leslie

I'm Leslie. Wife. Mother. Missionary. In the day to day my husband and I are responsible for running Clean Water for Haiti, a humanitarian mission that builds and distributes water filters to Haitian families. Living in Haiti full time provides lots of stories, and as I tell my husband, our grandkids probably won't believe most of them. Maybe writing them down will give me some credibility.

6 thoughts on “Fast post

  1. So happy that you are another step closer to the “light at the end of the tunner”! PTL! Praying that all will be finalized very soon!
    Mom & Dad Lockhart

  2. So happy that you are another step closer to the “light at the end of the tunnel”! PTL! Praying that all will be finalized very soon!
    Mom & Dad Lockhart

  3. I am happy to see things moving along for you as a family. I haven’t been able to keep up with postings the last several weeks, so it is great to come back and see forward movement for your adoption of Olivia. You have such strength and fortitude. God Bless you all.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s