I apologize for the absence. Truth be told, I really haven’t known what to say. Last week we went to Port and had a very productive day of adoption stuff. We made progress. We were waiting all last week and into yesterday for news. We were supposed to be getting news of having the final signature put on our Adoption Decree, the one that would finalize our adoption and make Olivia a Rolling not only in heart, but in name too. From there we would have been moving on to getting her passport.
I’m using words like ‘supposed’ and ‘would have’ because instead of finding out that the adoption was done we found out that someone in that office thinks the man that is helping us took a bribe and hasn’t been sharing the wealth. This isn’t the case but I guess in Haiti corruption is so deeply rooted in all systems that it’s more un-likely that someone would be helping to help than it would be because they had been given incentive. Because of this whole thing people are intentionally trying to make things difficult.
Please be praying for our family. I don’t think I need to say how difficult this whole process has been for us. To arrive at yesterday anticipating we were finished and then to get winded again is leaving me feeling like I want to rage on someone. How’s that for honesty? Pray for our hearts, and most of all please pray for everyone involved in this whole thing. That those who are holding up the process will be convicted, or something. We do have people working on things and there are plans in place to deal with the situation, but we feel discouraged obviously. Our timeline for getting home when we wanted to is quickly shrinking. It’s not that we won’t be happy to go home when we do get to, we would have just liked to be there at a certain point for multiple reasons.
On a wonderful note, an hour after getting the phone call about all the crap flying around (yeah, I said it) I got another phone call. I recognized the area code immediately but couldn’t figure out why someone would be calling me from there. Turns out it was the nice rep from WestJet (a Canadian airline). WestJet has a program running this year to fly volunteers to and from Haiti to their respective homes in Canada as long as they are working with a Canadian registered non-profit. We had been going back and forth to see if they would be able to fly Chris and I for free (Olivia is too young to be considered a volunteer). They are running their program out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Peurta Plata in the DR. Because of our adoption and visa issues we won’t be able to go through the US, but had talked about going out of the DR.
The last time I had talked to the rep (about three weeks ago) she had said things out of the DR were booked up but if we could get ourselves to Canada they would look at making an exception and flying us from Montreal to Kelowna. Yesterday the rep confirmed that they WOULD be flying us from Montreal to Kelowna, and they would be happy to cover all THREE tickets, not just Chris and I. I explained that we might not all be flying together, and the rep just said, “It doesn’t matter, you just let us know what your plans are and we’ll make sure the three of you get where you need to go even if it’s at different times.” I was fighting tears on the phone. Right when I had been in the middle of telling Sara what was going on and feeling discouraged I got a phone call and it was almost like God said, “Leslie, see, you’re almost done. I’m sending you home.”
We got a phone call as I was typing that there is stuff happening and we should have more news by the end of the day. Please pray that the next time I post it’ll be good news!
Thanks for your love and support,
~Leslie, Chris and Olivia