Whenever we’re getting ready to head back I always feel a sense of panic until our tickets are booked. I think once they’re booked it’s final and we can make plans around that date. Until then things are still floating and unsure. Yesterday I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the rep from American Airlines taking care of our travel plans. Chris’ ticket needed to be changed, I needed to use a credit from before and we had to book Olivia’s ticket. While I was on hold several times I became a multi-tasking hero and booked our flights down to the US. After both were booked we had to wait for the confirmation so I could add Alex. But, I’m happy to report that as of this morning every Rolling has a spot on the plane and we are good to go.
Yesterday we also managed to pack up 3 BIG duffel bags of stuff, as well as winter stuff and some other things that need to go down to the US with Chris’ parents. We realized that we could save some baggage fees if we sent half our luggage down with them and then picked it up while there in a few weeks before we flew out to Haiti. If you’ve ever packed to go into a place like Haiti you’ll understand the “tornado” effect that happens as you’re packing. Everything gets brought into the room, things get taken out of packages, and it looks like several stores threw up. Slowly things get put in bags, and bags get weighed and adjusted until they arrive at exactly 50lbs each.
The stress relief that I feel now that half our packing is done and tickets are booked is HUGE. No other word for it. I can breathe and I know I don’t have to pack that other stuff later, which is really, really nice.