Just Like the First Day Of School

Today was our first day back at work after summer holidays. I realized this morning, after a night of only about 4 hours sleep because my brain wouldn’t stop running and the jet lag is still kicking in, that today kind of felt like the first day of school. When I was 10.

The last two nights I’ve been tired. Very tired. But when it comes time to actually fall asleep my brain starts dancing and sleep runs away. Last night I had lists running through my head of all the things I hadn’t written down, that needed my attention sometime this week. I got up. Wrote them down. Still couldn’t sleep.

I think part of that back to school feeling is that, well, it’s kind of like back to school. We get to take time away from responsibilities, from work, from life here, and sloooooow down. Change scenery. Do fun things. Then it’s back to work, back to responsibilities. Back to the real world.

I get excited about office supplies. I’m not going to lie. I’m a goon that way. And you know what? The best time to buy office supplies is in the summer before school starts. So, I came back with a super stapler that will shave hours off my data entry life. You think I’m joking, but I’m not. Ask my husband how much time I spend fighting with a stapler on a weekly basis. It’s the little things. New pens. Sticky notes. Crayons. Calendars. Markers. Paper. All necessities in the admin world. Okay, maybe not the crayons.

I love it. It’s like my crack. Did I mention the new electric pencil sharpener???

So today was back to work, back to routine. I got up before the sun, had my shower, made my coffee, and got things going. Despite the lack of sleep I’ve been pretty darn productive today. It feels good.

And, things have improved since I last wrote. Chris found a new battery for my phone, even though it took two trips into town to get it. That’s love right there.

We have a temporary internet solution, but Chris phoned our old provider again this morning and explained our situation and they’re replacing our modem for free, with an upgraded version. We have to wait for someone to bring it in so it’ll arrive at the end of the month. But it IS coming and we ARE grateful.

The kids have been pretty easy today too. I think Alex is slowly adjusting to the time change and for the first time since we came back, finally went to sleep without needing to be held and bottled and everything else for hours. He got a bit spoiled while we were away. The big hit of the day was the doll stroller, which Alex realized was fun to push around. Even more fun when his sister is in it.

So that’s us. Less cranky, more happy.

And now I am going to take a nap!


This entry was posted in this is haiti, this is life by Leslie. Bookmark the permalink.

About Leslie

I'm Leslie. Wife. Mother. Missionary. In the day to day my husband and I are responsible for running Clean Water for Haiti, a humanitarian mission that builds and distributes water filters to Haitian families. Living in Haiti full time provides lots of stories, and as I tell my husband, our grandkids probably won't believe most of them. Maybe writing them down will give me some credibility.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s